Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving and Existentialism


OK SO LAST week was Thanksgiving. The holiday in which we celebrate food and how we're thankful for all the pilgrims who raped the brown natives. And ate dinner with the complacent ones who were "friendly" because they didn't fight back (or were unaware of the pending doom that the pilgrims had in store.)
And it was good. We ate and we brought to the front of our minds the graciousness and goodwill towards family, friends and goodtimes. We left to our subconscious the mounting school work/job work we would face on the approaching Monday.
Sheeps eating turkey.

But why do we go through the motions of all these holidays if they really don't celebrate what they advertise? Why do we eat turkey and give thanks? I don't really like turkey that much but yeah I needed a 4 day break and sure, I'm thankful for lots of things; but is that what this holiday is really about?


I feel like a lot of us relate more to the complacent Natives who fall into the winding gears of the encroaching society.

Why do we go through all this arbitrary and unnecessary stuff, just to convey the notion of celebrating, participating in cultural affairs ?

Why do we go through all this arbitrary stuff ....ever?

As the weekend ended I packed all my stuff, and headed back to school to do more work. I don't know why I'm doing any of this- to get a degree? because everyone does this? because?

The whole thing escapes me. The whole scheme of calendar holidays, social systems and Pressure to do things and just be....Complacent escapes me.

-PK


No comments:

Post a Comment