Friday, April 2, 2010

Finding Dakota Grey- Mixtape Review


AFTER HEARING TONY WILLIAMS' vocals on several Kanye West tracks (Roses, We Major, Drive Slow, Everything I am, etc.) I was drawn to his melodious and pleasantly raw sound. I then searched relentlessly for a solo project by Mr. Williams and was only appeased for a moment with the song 'Dreaming of Your Love' which I heard on Kanye's Can't Tell Me Nothing mixtape. 


But finally, his new mixtape, Finding Dakota Grey has arrived packed with soulful, bright, Stevie Wonder- meets Donny Hathaway quality and an added splash of coolness that IS Tony Williams. 


I've been listening to this mixtape non-stop for the past few days and I am pleased with the remixes. There's 'Dreaming of Your Love' (parisian remix), 'Amazing' (official remix), and 'Nightmares' (a sort of revox of Kanye West's 'See you in My Nightmares')--and they're GREAT. To analogize it; the remixes are to the originals as Arnold Palmer's are to Iced Tea: not necessarily better, but augmented in a GOOD way.


Overall, this is a good set of tracks. You can listen to it in your car with the windows down and not feel like skipping songs. In fact, the only song I would skip is 'Linda Garota'. To me it sounds like a T-Pain leftover track. Another issue is the number of intermittent skits. Some people like those little interruptions but I think the intros and outros are enough-- anything else is just overkill.


 Top 3 tracks: Same Movie Scene (reminds me of Zapp and Roger), I'm not Mad & Double Back on This Love


I hope to hear more solo work from this soulful crooner. Maybe G.O.O.D. will finally come through with that King or the Fool album. Until then, I guess we'll have something else to anticipate from Tony Williams.


I give Finding Dakota Grey a 7.5/10

click here  to download this mixtape!

No comments:

Post a Comment