Sunday, December 6, 2009

CHAI:

TODAY IS COLD . To a surprising extent. Which is why on my way back from my volunteer job I decided to stop and grab something hot to drink. While waiting in line I noticed an older woman in a blue coat looking at the menu and muttering to herself. I glanced at her in recognition and took my place in ine behind her. She told me to go ahead in front of her.

“ I’m still trying to make my mind up,” she said smiling sweetly. I smiled back, nodded said ok and got in front of her.

I had been trying to get into the friendly warmth of Philly culture for the almost two months that I’ve been here, making small talk with strangers, observing the camaraderie between men, and the reverence they display towards women and the elderly.

“I just need something warm. It’s so cold out,” I added, looking back at the woman in my best talk about the weather‘ voice.

“Yeah,” she responded, “My friend told me about something that’s not coffee— it’s a tea, but it sorta tastes like coffee,”

“Is it Chai?” I cut in.

Her eyes widened and I could see her cataracts behind her oval glasses. Her mouth became a grin filled with gleeful old teeth and framed by tiny wisps of facial hair.

“How did you know?” she cried jovially.

“Um,” I said, not knowing what to say.

“I have been trying to remember the name of it, but I just couldn’t and then you come along! God really does answer prayers!”

I didn’t understand why, and I felt like this was an overstatement, but as she went on, exclaiming her happiness; I began to feel really happy for her. Although it was a small request, it seemed to make a difference to her, and I was glad to have been a part of that. I wanted to celebrate too, so I ordered a Chai and I thanked God for all the blessings I’ve had; even the little ones.

As we parted ways she told me to have a blessed day and I told her to enjoy her weekend. I feel like that was an inspiring encounter, though brief and possibly trivial. But it made me want to record it and remember to value the tiny wisps of clarity and all the things we are granted in life.

NOTE: I wrote this story in October and posted it on my Tumblr blog. I decided it fit better on this blog so I've moved it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment