Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Penguin


"WHEN I GROW UP..." I will know I have grown because I've stopped referring to some distant time in the future I am waiting to finally  arrive.
I think it's near.
And I know this because for the first time in my life I am not waiting for the time of self realization to come. I'm actually going there; if that makes any sense at all.

So I may be getting a little bit ahead of myself here, but I had an 'aha moment' today about where I see myself going in the next few years until I graduate from college. Up until about the end of Summer '09, I fancied myself a budding journalist who was just in the wrong college (William Paterson University). I thought things would be better at a bigger school at a better location, yadda yadda I went to Temple University in Philadelphia, and I realized that I don't want to pursue a career in journalism.

I know I like to write. I know I like to read. And today, I realized that I can do both of those things as an Editor at a publishing company. More specifically Penguin Group. It is an amazing company to work for and I'm pretty sure it has everything I'm looking for in a career. I plan on doing everything I can to work for them in the near future.

It feels good to have an ambition again.

2 comments:

  1. How does one go about preparing for such a job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well sir, I'm going to apply for an internship this summer. I'm working on my cover letter this weekend and I plan on submitting it along with my resume this week. I'm basically going to go through the different positions they have in the company and research what it is they do, and then figure out what it is i'm interested in. I'm thinking about Acquisitions Editor.

    ReplyDelete